Hearing vadai itself the soaking, grinding,,,long procedure comes to mind.. here is a method for making instant vadais or fritters... using vegetables...... According to me its healthy and nutrisious.
Ingredients for making Cabbage Fritters(Vadai):
- half Cabbage - Washed and shredded finely
- Green chilly - 2 (according to taste)
- Salt (according to taste)
- Ginger - 1 inch piece(peeled and cut finely)
- Broiled Bengal Gram Dal /Pottukadalai/Dahlia - 2 cups
- Curry leaves - few (optional)
- Anise Seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Water - Little just to sprinkle and make a dough
- Cooking oil - for deep frying the fritters
Method for making cabbage Fritters/Vadai:
Step 1: Wash and shred the cabbage finely,cut the green chili,ginger and curry leaves.
Step 2: Dry Grind the Broiled Bengal Gram Dal in to fine powder. Remove in to a mixing bowl and add the cut cabbage,chili,ginger, salt,curry leaves and mix well and then sprinkle little water and bind them to a dough .
Step 3: Heat a deep frying pan with cooking oil.
Step 4:Grease your hand with little water or room temperature oil. Take a small amount of dough in hand flatten and shape it in to patties (vadai).
Step 5: Deep Fry it in oil. When its nice golden brown remove from oil and drain out the excess oil from the fritters...
Step 6: Its ready to serve.
can serve this as snacks with hot tea or as starters.. or just add on to your regular lunch or dinner as side dish. This is a nice way to include the vegetables to our diet.. especially with kids when they say no no to veggies and yes yes to deep fried stuffs...
Note: If making this fritters for kids.. PS adjust the spiciness according to your kids taste.
the given ratio will yield approx 15 medium sized fritters/vadai.