Ingredients for making Kathirikai Kondakadalai Kootu ( Brinjal/Eggplant and Garbanzo/Chickpeas Kootu):
- 1 cup - Garbanzo beans (canned or pre-soaked in water for 3 hrs)
- 1 cup brinjal, 3 to 4 (cut in to small pieces)
- Sambar powder - 1 Teaspoon
- Tamarind Paste - 1 Teaspoon or a small lemon sized tamarind
- Turmeric Powder - a small pinch
- Red Chili powder - a small pinch (according to spiciness)
- Red Gram Dal - 1/2 cup (cooked)
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Split Black Gram Dal - 1 Teaspoon
- Red Chili - 1
- Salt - according to taste
- Cooking Oil - 1 teaspoon
Method for making Kathirikai Kondaikadalai Kootu:
Step 1: Cook the Garbanzo Beans and Red Gram Dal for 15 minutes or until cooked. Let it cool - keep it aside.( i normally pressure cook both of them together for 2 whistles - approx., 15 minutes)
Step 2: Wash and cut the Brinjals/Eggplants in to small pieces and keep it immersed in water if u are not planning to cook them immediately (preventing it from turning out black in color)
Step 3: Pre-heat a deep pan with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil ,add mustard seeds, red chili, black gram Dal, curry leaves, cut eggplant/brinjals and stir it for 2 minutes.
Step 4: Add Turmeric Powder, Chili Powder, Sambar Powder and stir nicely till nice aroma comes out...
Step 5: Add the tamarind paste with 2 cups of water and salt ,stir in nicely.
Step 6: Let it boil till raw smell of tamarind goes and the eggplant cooks...out .
Step 7: Add the cooked Garbanzo Beans, Red Gram Dal and mix nicely adjust by adding water ...according to the desired quantity.
Step 8: Let everything boil nicely... approx.. 5 minutes in reduced heat.
Can garnish this with kootu vadam and Cilantro (kothamali leaves)
Remove and let it cool..ready to serve...
This is a great side dish for Steamed White rice....or can eat this just as is...(healthy)
I served this dish with steamed white rice with little clarrified butter, Pappad, Simple Oni0n Pachadi...