- Onions - 2 medium size
- Tamarind Paste - 1 Teaspoon paste
- Salt to taste
- Sambar Powder - 1 Teaspoon
- 1/2 Teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 Red Chili
- 1/2 Teaspoon Read Chili Powder (or according to spiciness)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Split Black Gram Dal
- Curry Leaves (optional)
- a pinch asafoetida powder
Method for making Onion Pulli Kozhambu:
Step 1: Peel and cut the onion in to 1 inch pieces.
Step 2: Heat a Deep Pan , add 1 Teaspoon Cooking Oil and add the mustard seeds when it splutters add the black gram Dal, red chili and the add the cut onions, asafoetida powder and curry leaves, keep stirring the onions till they turn transparent.
Step 3: Add the sambar powder and fry them for a second till nice aroma comes out.
Step 4: Then add the Tamarind paste with water , let it boil (till the raw smell of tamarind goes) and the kozhambu comes to a desired consistency (it will be little thick). Add salt to taste and let it boil once more. Remove from Heat.
This can be served for Rice with any curry.