Ingredients for making Orange Rind (Tholi) Pullikachal :
- Skin of peeled Orange -1 medium sized
- Tamarind - 3 Tablespoon paste
- Turmeric Powder- 1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt - according to taste
- Ginger - 2 Tablespoon peeled and chopped
- Green Chili - 3 (chopped finely)
- Asafoetida - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Mustard - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Split Black Gram Dal - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Curry Leaves (optional)
- Jaggery - 1 Tablespoon
Step 1: Peel the Skin of the Orange and cut it finely (in tit bits), cut the ginger and green chili and keep it aside.
Step 2: Heat 2 Tablespoon cooking oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, let it splutter, add the curry leaves, split black gram Dal, asafotedia, ginger, green chili . Fry for a minute.
Step 3: Add the tamarind paste with 3 cups of water, turmeric powder, jaggery, salt. let this boil for about 15 minutes (approx.,) till the mixture reduces to thick consistency.
Step 4: Add the finely cut Orange skin and mix everything, let it boil for few more minutes ,till the pieces become soft when touched and the oil starts forming a circle in pan.
Step 5: Remove from heat. Let it cool. Store in an airtight container.
This Pullikachal will stay good for a week and if refrigerated will be good for approx., 10 days.
Can be eaten with Curd Rice.