- 1 cup cubed Paneer(Indian Cottage Cheese)
- 1/2 cup cooked Green Peas ( Fresh or Frozen)
- 2 medium sized Onions finely Chopped
- 3 medium sized Tomatoes chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves finely cut
- Chili Powder- 1/2 Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
- Coriander Seeds - 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Fennel Seeds - 1 Teaspoon
- Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
- Cardamom - 1
- Cloves - 2
- Milk half Cup - (2% or whole milk)
- 1 Tablespoon Clarified Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil
- Few Cilantro Leaves (optional) to garnish
- Few Cashew nuts(optional) to garnish
Method for making Matar Paneer:
Step 1: Cook the Matar(Green Peas) for approx. 10 minutes in microwave or stove top.
Step 2: In a Skillet add 1 Teaspoon Oil ,Let it heat then add the cut onions and garlic and fry for a minute, when it becomes transparent, add the cut tomatoes and fry nicely , when the onion tomato fry becomes somewhat dry add the the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and fry for a minute, stirring constantly. Remove from Heat. Let it cool.
Step 3: Now grind the cooled ingredients to a paste.
Step 4: Heat a Skillet with 1 tsp Ghee (Clarified Butter) and add the grounded paste to it and then fry for a second and then add the Cooked Green Peas, Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder. Mix nicely , add the required amount of salt. Let it boil for approx 5 minutes. Check for the Salt.
Step 5: Add the required amount of Milk to it and mix nicely. It should have a Thick Gravy(adjust accordingly the amount of milk) can use cream also.
Step 6: Keep it in low heat for approx. 10 minutes.
Step 7: Mean time we can deep fry the cubed Paneers in Ghee or Cooking Oil.
Step 8: Remove the Green Peas Gravy from heat and add the Deep fried Paneers. Garnish with Cashew nuts, Cilantro leaves.
This is ready to serve. It can be served with Chapatis or Wheat Tortillas, Na an, Breads, Rice, Pooris. I served with Lemon Rice and Potato Chips.
Note: This Dish can be made without using Paneer also just omit the Step 7 and garnish , serve.