Ingredients for making Milagu Kuzhambu:
- Coriander Seeds - 2 tablespoons ( dry fried)
- Red Gram Dal - 2 tablespoons
- Whole Black Peppers - 2 tablespoons
- Whole Red Chili - 2 Teaspoons or (according to taste)
- Asafotedia - a small pinch
- Curry Leaves - little
- Tamarind Paste - 1 teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Bengal Gram Dal - 1/2 teaspoon
- Drumstick (Fresh or Frozen Can be used) - approx 10 to 15 to 3 inches
Method for making Milagu Kozhambu:
Step 1: In a small pan add little oil and fry the ingredients Coriander seeds, Red Gram Dal, Whole Black Peppers,Whole Red Peppers, Asafotedia and curry leaves . Fry nicely till an aroma comes out from the ingredients. then turn off the heat and let the fried ingredients cool for some time. Then grind it.
Step 2: In a pan add little oil and heat it , then add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds , 1/2 teaspoon Bengal Gram Dal, 1 Red Chili. fry it for some time.
Step 2: Then to that add the cut Drumstick and fry and then add the grounded mixture fry nicely so that it coats the drumstick.
Step 3: Mix the Tamarind Juice with 2 Cups of water and add it to the pan. Let it boil till the raw smell goes. Add salt to taste. Adjust the consistency of the gravy. (if its too water let it boil some more time or if its too thick like paste add some more water to it and let boil.)
This a nice Side dish for Rice with Parupu Thogayal especially for People who like to eat spicy foods like my hubby.